HKHP holds a unique collection of primary and secondary source material which originates from CLP and the Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels, as well as other Kadoorie business interests and private donors. The collection includes 200+ linear metres of paper records, 500+ filmed oral history interviews and 9,000+ photographs, amongst other audio-visual recordings. Together, these records shine a light on Kadoorie business history as well as the wider social and economic development of Hong Kong and Shanghai from 1884 to 1980.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR RESEARCHERS
Making an appointment
The Hong Kong Heritage Project (HKHP) archive is open to researchers and scholars by appointment only. Contact us in writing via email with a brief description of your research project, the names of individuals and institutions that are central to the study and years covered by the study. HKHP’s staff can respond efficiently to enquiries that are specific.
HKHP is open for pre-booked visitors between 10:00am and 5:00pm Monday through Friday except public holidays
8 Laguna Verde Avenue, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
We are located on the third floor of CLP's Headquarters in Hung Hom, next door to the Laguna Verde Mall and opposite Hutchison Park. The nearest MTR station is Whampoa (Exit A), which is a 10-minute walk away. KMB bus 8P from outside the Tsim Sha Tsui Star Ferry goes direct to the Laguna Verde complex of residential flats (a three-minute walk to the CLP office) and minibus 26 from Kowloon Station via Hung Hom Station also terminates at Laguna Verde.
Rules in the reading room
- On your first visit, you will be met by a member of staff, shown the archive facility and familiarised with the rules and regulations. You will be required to fill out application forms as appropriate, which will be reviewed by a staff member.
- No food or beverages (except water) is allowed in the Archives.
- Pencils only – no pens, highlighters, or other unapproved instruments may be used.
- Users may not mark, paper clip, staple, put post-its on or fold any Archival materials.
- Materials must be used at the reserved area. Please notify staff when you have finished using the Collections.
- White gloves will be provided and must be worn at all times when handling materials.
- Archives must be kept in its original order
- All fetching must be done by HKHP staff.
- Only three files may be retrieved at a time.
- Permission must be granted before photo taking, filming or sound recording.
- Written permission must be sought prior to any publication of material from the Archives.