China Light & Power Co., Limited (SEK)

SUMMARY INFORMATION

Reference cod​e:​​​​ SEK-4
Title: ​China Light & Power Co., Limited (SEK)
Date:1937 - 2007
Extent:  5.1 linear metres (66 boxes)
Language:English


 

ACCESS AND USE

​Copyright: ​

​Written permission must be sought prior to any publication, reproduction and quotation of material.

​Conditions governing access:

​Portions are closed. Researchers may apply to use the records by writing to our archivist. Please visit the Access page for further information.

​Preferred citation: 

China Light & Power Co., Limited ; Records of Sir Elly Kadoorie & Sons ; The Hong Kong Heritage Project

​History:

In 1901, Robert G. Shewan registered the China Light and Power Syndicate, Ltd. (China Light) in Hong Kong with the aim of providing electricity to Kowloon. The Syndicate later took over the Canton Electric and Fire Extinguishing Co., acquired its power station in Shamian and started operation in Canton with HK$300,000 in capital. With humble beginnings, China Light went on to provide electricity to Kowloon and later to the remotest parts of the New Territories under the 1961 Rural Electrification Scheme. The company also fuelled Hong Kong’s industrialisation in the 1960s and supported the New Town development of the 1970s. Today, China Light operates under its holding company CLP Holdings Limited (CLP). For more information, please visit CLP’s website www.clpgroup.com.

​Scope and content note:

Highlights from this collection (1937 2007) include extensive photographic and audio-visual materials, Lawrence Kadoorie’s General Policy – A Brief Survey (1938) and correspondence relating to the construction of Hok Un Power Station in the 1930s.

SUMMARY INFORMATION

Reference cod​e:​​​​ SEK-4
Title: ​China Light & Power Co., Limited
Date:1937 - 2007
Extent:  5.1 linear metres (66 boxes)
Language:English


 

ACCESS AND USE

​Copyright: ​

​Written permission must be sought prior to any publication, reproduction and quotation of material.

​Conditions governing access:

​Portions are closed. Researchers may apply to use the records by writing to our archivist. Please visit the Access page for further information.

​Preferred citation: 

China Light & Power Co., Limited ; Records of Sir Elly Kadoorie & Sons ; The Hong Kong Heritage Project

​History:

In 1901, Robert G. Shewan registered the China Light and Power Syndicate, Ltd. (China Light) in Hong Kong with the aim of providing electricity to Kowloon. The Syndicate later took over the Canton Electric and Fire Extinguishing Co., acquired its power station in Shamian and started operation in Canton with HK$300,000 in capital. With humble beginnings, China Light went on to provide electricity to Kowloon and later to the remotest parts of the New Territories under the 1961 Rural Electrification Scheme. The company also fuelled Hong Kong’s industrialisation in the 1960s and supported the New Town development of the 1970s. Today, China Light operates under its holding company CLP Holdings Limited (CLP). For more information, please visit CLP’s website www.clpgroup.com.

​Scope and content note:

Highlights from this collection (1937 2007) include extensive photographic and audio-visual materials, Lawrence Kadoorie’s General Policy – A Brief Survey (1938) and correspondence relating to the construction of Hok Un Power Station in the 1930s.